Costa Rican Man Friends Crocodile

Costa Rican Crocodile

Chito the 52 Year Old Fisherman and Pocho the Crocodile

Deep in the Costa Rican jungle, a fisherman named Chito discovered a crocodile that had been shot in the eye by a cattle farmer and left for dead. Chito was able to drag the massive reptile into his boat and brought him to his home, where he stayed by his side for months, nursing him back to health.

Crocodile Costa Rica

He named the croc Pocho. “I stayed by Pocho’s side while he was ill, sleeping next to him at night. I just wanted him to feel that somebody loved him, that not all humans are bad.” said Chito, ““It meant a lot of sacrifice. I had to be there every day. I love all animals – especially ones that have suffered.”

The day finally came when Pocho was strong enough to go back into the wild. Chito took him to a lake near his house and released him, but the animal simply got back out of the water and followed him home.

I just wanted him to feel that somebody loved him, that not all humans are bad.

“Then I found out that when I called his name he would come over to me.” says Chito. The fisherman has been hesitant to tell his story, even though 20 years have passed since he first rescued Pocho.

Pocho is roughly 5.18 meters (17 feet) long. He and Chito play, wrestle and hug on a daily basis. That bond, Chito said, took years to forge.

“After a decade I started to work with him.”, says Chito casually, “At first it was slow, slow. I played with him a bit, slowly doing more.”

Chito has told his story now only to raise awareness of the cruelty that can be done to animals, and the difference that affection and treating other rightly can make.

“He’s my friend, I don’t want to treat him like a slave or exploit him.” said Chito, “I am happy because I rescued him and he is happy with me because he has everything he needs.”
Costa Rica Crocodile

Tags: , , Global Good

Whisper here:

19 Comments to “Costa Rican Man Friends Crocodile”
  1. Louis says:

Not saying that I completely disbelieve it. But, it’s my understanding that reptiles have no emotion area in the brain. That means that there is no place for them to express gratitude or love. The only thing that this croc should express is hunger…..oh wait, Chito’s here. Lunch time!! Let’s have Chito for lunch, no really. Let’s eat Chito. I’d definitely be wary of any interaction with a 900 lb throwback from the dinosaur age.

2. eric says:

If this story is true it is a major event. This croc has either programmed its brain that the presence of this entity results in food and safety or has indeed formed some sort of “emotional” bond. I can find no other explanation though I both prefer and suspect the latter. A major occurenece either way.

3. TGS says:

Isn’t the feeling of security a large part of what forms emotional bonds in humans?

4. kat says:

crocs ear EACH OTHER… I call this naatural selection … just taking long than it should..

5. Gina Wagner says:

Absolutely heartwarming! Animals or in this case reptiles are very intuitive and we really need to give them a lot more credit. What an awesome story to know there is sill deep human compassion for all living things!!! <3

6. Cate says:

Plenty of humans get killed by other humans who “love” them every day. But some don’t. Wild animals would have to include humans as well. The possibility of being hurt by someone you love shouldn’t stop us from doing so.

7. CP says:

Then you, Louis, he would probably eat.

8. Barbara says:

Absolutely unbelieveable. I am speechless.

9. Buntham Phimphon says:

He is one of the great example of good-heart man.May you be happy and prosperous forever.

10. James says:

I’ve seen alligators thet were farm raised and came to their handlers upon command or by calling their name. Not for food but because they were called, so don’t tell me a reptile can’t have any feeling of love or respect at all because of the size of there brain! A bond is a bond no matter what the relationship is between each other.

11. James says:

Also love is love and respect is respect, plain and simple live in nature, respect it and u will be amazed what it teaches u!

12. Glory says:

Hmmmm! This is so very awesome. God is so wonderful & all he made likewise.

13. C King says:

Chico will be eaten

14. John R says:

Crocodilians are unusual among the reptiles in a lot of different ways, and I wouldn’t doubt they’ve got a lot more going on emotionally than a snake would.

15. Carri says:

Amazing story. I think any animal that feels it trusts you can show its own form of love or emotion. I have owned lizards that have literally enter to cuddle with me while I sat on the couch and would actually get excited to see me when I walked in the room. We are all capable of love.

16. Victoria says:

Maybe when the Crocks eye was shot out, maybe a part of his brain was injured. Perhaps that’s why his aggressive animalistic instincts have been curtailed. Regardless, that dude needs to remember Crocs are not domesticated pets. I had my face bitten by an iguana, if GOD FORBID his face gets bitten, he won’t have a head to stand on! If you ask me, the dude is stupid. Who does he think he is? TARZAN?!? Jungle Monkey!!! Lmao

17. Helena says:

Even crocs & gators take great protective care of & guard their offspring & nesting area better than many humans. The compassion of this man is awesome & love well returned.

18. Erin says:

If Chito was on Poncho’s dinner menu he would’ve been eaten by now. They’ve been together 20 years without incident. He did say that the croc followed him home. It’s not like he tried to keep it as a pet, just nurse it back to health.

Animals have more complexity of feeling than most people realize.

19. Boris says: